Aspen Database Installer
The Aspen 2.5 Database Installer was one of two inventions that I developed to ease the delivery of applications on SQL Server and Oracle.
The Aspen Database Installer used an XML notation to define the “proposed” schema for the Aspen database. During installation, the Installer would reverse-engineer the existing database schema, determine the difference and perform whatever operations were necessary to convert from the existing structure to the new structure.
The Aspen Database Installer was capable of:
- Adding or dropping tables and columns.
- Modifying the data types of existing columns and converting the existing data.
- Adding, dropping or modifying primary keys, indexes, constraints, full-text indexing.
- Generating triggers or DRI to maintain referential integrity.
- Installing functions, custom triggers and stored procedures.
- Injecting custom scripts to facilitate changes that cannot be automated.
The Aspen 2.5 Database Installer dramatically reduced the effort required for developers to maintain the database schema. This results in higher productivity, fewer errors and easier customization.